Gazetteer for the Maryland Campaign of 1862
Here's a quick way to find the places you've been reading about—in reports, letters, and other material—on a modern map. Click on a place name in the list below to mark and center it on the map. See our Overview map for more locations specifically on the battlefield of Antietam.
Alexandria, VABakersville, MDBaltimore, MDBarnesville, MDBerlin, MDBest FarmBlackford's FordBolivar HeightsBolivar, MDBoonsborough, MDBoteler's FordBrookeville, MDBrownsville PassBuckeystown, MDBurkittsville, MDBurnside BridgeChambersburg, PACharlestown, VA
Charlottesville, VACheek's FordClarksburg, MDClarksburg, VACrampton's GapDamascus, MDDarnestown, MDDranesville, VAFairfax Courthouse, VAFalls Church, VAFox's GapFrederick, MDFredericksburg, VAFront Royal, VAFunkstown, MDGeorgetown, DCGettysburg, PAGreencastle, PA
Hagerstown, MDHarpers Ferry, VAHarrisonburg, VAHillsborough, VAHyattstown, MDJefferson, MDKearneysville, VAKeedysville, MDLeesburg, VALoudoun HeightsLovettsville, VALuray, VAManassas BattlefieldManassas, VAMartinsburg, VAMaryland HeightsMiddle BridgeMiddlebrooke, MD
Middletown, MDMonocacy AqueductMountain HouseNew Market, MDNew Market, VANoland's FerryOffutt's Crossroads, MDPhiladelphia, PAPoint of Rocks, MDPoolesville, MDPry's FordRichmond, VARockville, MDRohrersville GapRohrersville, MDRomney, VASandy Hook, MDSharpsburg, MD
Shepherdstown, VASmoketown, MDSnavely's FordStaunton, VASugarloaf MountainTurner's GapUrbana, MDVienna, VAWashington, DCWestminster, MDWeverton, MDWhite's FerryWilliamsport, MDWinchester, VA
Using the Map
- Add a Marker: click on a place name on the list below the map to add a marker to the map at that place. The map will automatically re-center itself on that location. You can have as many markers as you wish on the map at once.
- Location Details: click on any marker to get a pop-up window with information describing the location. Click on the X box at the upper right of the window to close it again
- Clear Markers: click the [clear all markers] link found just below the map to erase all the markers on the map
- Map overview: the small window at the lower right corner of the map can help orient you to where the current map position is in relation to the larger world
- Marker labels: "hover" your mouse pointer over a map marker to see the location name
- Scale: the distance scale for the current map is always found at the lower left of the map, and adjusts as you zoom in and out
- Map dragging: click and hold anywhere on the map then drag to reposition the map in the window.
- Zoom in: click on the [+] symbol at upper left to zoom; see a smaller area of land blown up to full map size
- Zoom out: click on the [–] symbol at upper left to head for a bird's eye view; see more of the countryside at less detail
- Jump left, right, up, down: click on one of the arrow symbols at upper left to jump about 1/3 of the map in the arrow direction
- Re-center: double click on the map to center it at that point.
[August 2006] This gazetteer is a new project, and something of an experiment. We're adding locations and will add features as we go. Please let us know how we can make this more useful to you.
This map presentation uses the GoogleMaps API. Thanks Google! The locations shown are from the AotW database. Geocoding done with a service provided by InfoSports and the place locator from Earth Tools.