site logo
F.M. Yeager

F.M. Yeager

Federal (USV)

Lieutenant

Frederick M. Yeager

(1840 - 1920)

Home State: Pennsylvania

Branch of Service: Infantry

Unit: 128th Pennsylvania Infantry

Before Antietam

One of the "First Defenders", he joined the Ringgold Light Artillery at Reading, PA on 16 April 1861, served with them in Washington, DC, and mustered out on 26 July. In 1862 he helped recruit six companies of men and was commissioned First Lieutenant, Company K, 128th Pennsylvania Infantry on 15 August 1862.

On the Campaign

He commanded the left part of his Company in their advance through the East Woods and toward the Dunkard Church on 17 September 1862 at Antietam.

The rest of the War

He was promoted to Captain, Company C on 1 January 1863. He was captured at Chancellorsville, VA on 2 May 1863 and held at Libby Prison, Richmond, VA. He was exchanged, date unknown, and returned home, his term having expired in May 1863.

After the War

He was a professional photographer in Reading, PA from 1864 to at least 1874, and later an "art publisher". He was active in veteran's and historical organizations. He was a member of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) and by 1912 was Commander of McLean Post No. 16, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR).

References & notes

Service information from Bates.1 His role at Antietam from a letter he wrote J.M. Gould on 29 December 1893, now in the John M. Gould Collection of Papers Relating to the Battle of Antietam, Dartmouth College Library, Hanover, NH. Personal details from his bio sketch in J.M. Yeager's A Brief History of the Yeager, Buffington ... Families, and their Collateral Kindred of Pennsylvania (1912). His photographic career in Langton's List. His gravesite is on Findagrave. His picture from a photograph provided by Steve Meadow and hosted by Historical Data Systems.

Birth

06/17/1840

Death

07/17/1920; burial in Charles Evans Cemetery, Reading, PA

Notes

1   Bates, Samuel Penniman, History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg: State of Pennsylvania, 1868-1871  [AotW citation 21212]