(1834 - 1905)
Home State: Georgia
Education: Jefferson Medical College (Phila.), Class of 1857
Command Billet: Battery Commander
Branch of Service: Artillery
Unit: Troup (GA) Artillery
He attended Franklin College (now Univ. of GA) for two years (1852-4), read medicine with his brother Joseph Barnett Carlton, graduated from medical school in 1857, and practiced with Joseph as partner until the War in 1861.
He was appointed First Lieutenant of the Troup Artillery on 24 April 1861 and elected Captain when the Battery (and all other Army of Northern Virginia units) was re-organized in April 1862.
On the Campaign
He was in command of the battery, by then somewhat shorthanded, at Sharpsburg.
The rest of the War
He was wounded in action at Gettysburg on 3 July 1863 and returned to the battery about 3 April 1864, but was again wounded, this time at near Cold Harbor on 31 May 1864. He was offered positions as Major in the Artillery, Colonel of Cavalry and Asst. Surgeon of the division, but decided instead to remain Captain of the Troup Artillery. He disbanded with the company 9 April 1865 near Lynchburg, VA.
After the War
He resumed his medical practice until 1872. He went into state politics, studied law and was admitted to bar in 1881, then practiced in Athens, GA. He operated a newspaper and served on the first Georgia Board of Health. He was U.S. Representative for Georgia's 8th District 1887-91.
In 1898 he volunteered for duty in the Spanish-American War, and an Inspector General at the rank of Major. He had served in Puerto Rico by the end of the War.
References & notes
His service and personal details from research by William S Smedlund in his service records, local sources, and correspondence, posted online on his excellent Troup Artillery website. His gravesite is on Findagrave, source also of a post-war picture of him. Thanks to Rhett Dakota Vito for the pointer to that.
His brother Benjamin, a Private in the battery was killed at Sharpsburg on 17 September.
05/12/1834; Athens, GA
10/26/1905 Athens, GA; burial in Oconee Hill Cemetery, Athens, GA