(1838 - 1902)
Home State: Vermont
Command Billet: Company Officer
Branch of Service: Infantry
Unit: 4th Vermont Infantry
He was a clerk and travelling salesman until he enlisted at Boston as Private, and was appointed Sergeant-Major, of the 4th Vermont Infantry in September 1861. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, Company E in April 1862 and 1st Lt in August.
On the Campaign
He received the Medal of Honor (awarded 1891) for his actions at Crampton's Gap, September 14, in singlehandedly capturing an officer and over 100 men of the enemy. He was wounded in this action.
The rest of the War
By Gettysburg, July 1863, he was aide-de-camp on the staff of BGen Stannard, 2nd Vermont Brigade. He was reportedly wounded 5 times at Cold Harbor. He was promoted Captain/AAG in August 1864. He was Chief of Staff to MGen Weitzel (3rd Division, then 24th Army Corps) at Richmond in 1865. He was brevetted Major and Lt Colonel, honorary ranks, by War's end.
After the War
After the war he was in banking in New York and Brattleboro, Vt. In 1880 he was Vermont Department Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) - the Federal veteran's organization. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1880 and 1882. In 1884 he built (or had built) a large commercial building in Brattleboro, VT, now known as the Hooker-Dunham - currently a gallery and theater.
References & notes
Source: Heitman, Francis Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army 1789-1903, Washington, US Government Printing Office, 1903; and
Ullery, Jacob G., compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont , Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894 - transcribed online at Men of Vermont in the Civil War.
He was the brother-in-law of financier James Fisk Jr, (his wife's family) and is buried in the Fisk family plot.
The portrait photo above is from the MOLLUS Massachusetts Collection, USAMHI, Carlisle Barracks, PA, courtesy of an AotW Member.
2/6/1838; Salem, NY
8/6/1902; burial in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT