Commanding Officer at Sharpsburg:
Capt. John C. Carpenter
As the possibility of war between the states became a virtual certainty, young men in the South began organizing into volunteer military companies, as provided for under state militia laws. One such unit was the "Alleghany Roughs", an infantry unit organized in Covington, Alleghany County, virginia, on 20 April 1861. The unit was mustered into service at Harpers Ferry as Company A of the 27th Virginia Infantry. Their first commanding officer was Captain Thomas McCallister. When he resigned due to illness, his 1st Lieutenant, Joseph Carpenter, assumed command. When reviewing this change of command, General Jackson recognized Carpenter's name as that of one of his former artillery students at Virginia Military Institute (VMI). On orders from Jackson, the company was converted from infantry to artillery. The new unit was called the "Alleghany Artillery".
Their initial guns were 4 iron 6-pounders, built by the Tredegar Iron Works, Richmond.
Initial Strength: not known; Killed in Action (KIA): 5;
Battlefield Tablets for this Unit
Tablet #314: Jackson's Command - 15 Sep, 4 PM to 16 Sep, 10 PM
Tablet #381: Jackson's Division, Jackson's Command - 16 Sep, 4 PM to 16 Sep, 7 PM
Tablet #315: Jackson's Command - 17 Sep, 5 AM to 17 Sep, 10 AM
Tablet #382: Jackson's Division, Jackson's Command - 17 Sep, 5 AM to 17 Sep, 7 AM
Tablet #382, cont: Jackson's Division, Jackson's Command - 17 Sep, 7 AM to 17 Sep, 9 AM
References & Notes
See a brief unit history online, source of some of the above text.
We have 2 individuals in the AotW database for this unit:
|--||Capt||Carpenter, John C.||WIA 09/17|
|--||Capt||Carpenter, Joseph Hannah|
* If there's a symbol in the Details column ...
- We have a picture for this person
- We have details beyond name and rank
Click on their last name to see more