(September 17, 1862.)
Early in the morning, this Battery advanced from its bivouac morth of Jos. Poffenberger's, passing through the North Woods to the ploughed fields immediately south of them. One section, under command of Lieut. James Stewart, was advanced to a position east of D.R. Miller's house and about 205 yards from this road, and shelled the woods around and north of the Dunkard Church. In a few minutes Stewart crossed the road and, taking position about 60 yards west of this point, engaged the Confederate Artillery and Infantry. He was joined by the other four guns of the Battery which took position on his left, one gun in the road, a few feet in advance, working effectively against the Confederate Infantry in the Cornfield. The Battery was charged by Hood's Division, the charge being repulsed by a rapid fire of double charges of canister, with the help of the Infantry supports - the Brigades of Gibbon and Patrick. In this contest Capt. Campbell was wounded and the command fell to Lieut. Stewart. After a close and severe engagement in which the Battery lost 9 men killed and 31 wounded and 26 horses killed, it retired to the field north of the Miller house, where it again went into action.