(September 17, 1862.)
Battery D, 2d U.S. Artillery, moved from its bivouac near Crampton's Pass on the morning of the 17th and went into position south of the Smoketown Road, its center 55 yards from this point, its right gun about 12 yards. It opened fire at the Dunkard Church and the woods surrounding it to drive therefrom the Confederate Sharpshooters. It was relieved by Battery A, Maryland Light Artillery, Captain John W. Wolcott, and at 4 P.M., moved southwest to the high ground north of the Sunken Lane to cover the movement of the 7th Maine Infantry against the Confederates around the Piper buildings.