(September 17, 1862.)
At daybreak of the 17th, the three divisions of the 2nd Corps were east of the Antietam: Sedgwick's and French's near Army Headquarters, Richardson's in advance behind the bluff overlooking the Antietam. At 7:30 A. M. Sedgwick's Division moved, crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford and, advancing through the East Woods and Miller's Cornfield and the fields to the south, in column of Brigades, crossed the Hagerstown Pike about a third of a mile north of this, entered the West Woods, and the right and center had reached the open ground beyond, when its advance was checked by Jackson's Command and the Artillery of Stuart's Cavalry Division.
Gorman's Brigade was in the first line, its left Regiment, the 34th New York, a few yards west of the Dunkard Church and separated from the Brigade by an interval of 460 yards, the Brigade line running in a general dirction northwest, its right 940 yards from this and 610 yards west of the Hagerstown Pike. Dana's and Howard's Brigades were in the second and third lines respectively, their left flanks in the ravine and on the roll of ground 200 to 250 yards northeast of this and 280 to 300 yards west of the Pike. In this position the left flank of the Division was attacked and turned by McLaws' and Walker's Divisions and it was obliged to retreat northward to the fields and woods beyond D. R. Miller's.