(September 17, 1862.)
French's Division followed Sedgwick's across the Antietam and, upon nearing the East Woods, changed direction to come in on Sedgwick's left and cover that flank. As it approached Roulette's house, 800 yards east of this, it encountered the enemy and pushed them back to the Sunken Road or Bloody Lane, where its advance was checked by a portion of D.H. Hill's Division, subsequently reinforced by five Brigades of R.H. Anderson's Division. A desperate contest ensued, during which Richardson's Division came up and formed on the left. The combined action of the two Divisions obliged the Confederates to retire to Piper's Lane and the fields beyond. The Division bivouacked near the Roulette house.
Richardson's Division crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford about 9:30 A.M., and, moving to the ravine beyond the high ground east of Roulette's, formed line of battle and advanced on French's left, engaging the Confederates in and beyond the Sunken Road or Bloody Lane. After a stubborn and sanguinary contest, in which it was supported by French's Division on its right, the enemy was forced back from the Bloody Lane to and beyond the Hagerstown Pike. An advance was made to the high ground overlooking the Piper house, which was soon withdrawn and the Division bivouacked on the high ground southeast of Roulette's.