(September 17, 1862.)
Doubleday's Division moved from its bivouac on the Joseph Poffenberger farm, north of this, at 5:30 A. M. on the 17th, in the following order: Gibbon's Brigade in advance, supported by Phelps' and Patrick's Brigades; Hofmann's Brigade was held in reserve. The three Brigades advanced, with their right resting on the Hagerstown Pike, until Gibbon reached this point - Phelps 25 yards in his rear, and Patrick following Phelps - when his right flank was fired into by the Confederate skirmishers posted behind the rocky ledge 106 yards west of and nearly parallel to the Pike. The Division was then deployed, Gibbon with two Regiments on either side of the Pike, with Battery B, 4th U. S. Artillery, in his right rear; Phelps moved up on Gibbon's left and Patrick crossed to the west of the turnpike and supported Gibbon's right and the Battery. The Brigades became heavily engaged, advancing south of this point in the direction of the Dunkard Church and after more than an hour's obstinate contest, with varying success, were withdrawn to the fields north of D. R. Miller's and, subsequently, to the cover of the high ground beyond Joseph Poffenberger's.