(September 15-17, 1862.)
The Reserve Artillery of Hood's Division reached Sharpsburg at noon of September 15. It was posted on the right of the Boonsboro Pike and became engaged with the enemy during the afternoon of the 16th. At about 2 P.M. on the 17th, it went into position on the left of the road leading to Burnside Bridge and co-operated with the Divisions of D.R. Jones and A.P. Hill in resisting the advance of the Ninth Army Corps. One section of the German Artillery was detached from the Battery and served with Hood's Division in the fields beyond the Dunkard Church.