(September 15-19, 1862.)
The 3rd, 4th and 9th Virginia Cavalry of Lee's Brigade reached the field late in the afternoon of the 15th and took position on the extreme left of the Confederate Army. The 5th Cavalry, detached from the Brigade, September 11, formed on the extreme right of the Army on the evening of the 15th and, on the morning of the 16th, rejoined the Brigade on the left. On the night of the 16th the Brigade was massed near the river in support of the Horse Artillery. The 1st Cavalry, detached on the 10th, rejoined on the morning of the 17th and the Brigade took position on the left of Jackson's Command, which it assisted in resisting the Union advance. On September 18th and 19th the Brigade covered the withdrawal of the Army of Northern Virginia to the south bank of the Potomac.