site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 323

Anderson's Brigade, D.R. Jones Division

7 AM 17 September to 4 PM 17 September

C.S.A.
LONGSTREET'S COMMAND
ANDERSON'S BRIGADE, D.R. JONES DIVISION
Col. George T. Anderson, 11th Georgia Infantry, Commanding.
Organization.
1st Georgia Infantry (Regulars),
7th Georgia Infantry,
8th Georgia Infantry,
9th Georgia Infantry,
11th Georgia Infantry

(September 17, 1862.)
   Anderson's Brigade was withdrawn from the Boonsboro Pike at about 7:30 A.M. and moved to a position in rear of the Dunkard Church.

It supported McLaws' Division in the attack on Sedgwick's Division, and was then moved to this point where, forming behind the stone fence, it engaged the enemy in Piper's Cornfield but, being enfiladed by the Federal Artillery, was soon obliged to retire in the direction of Sharpsburg. Between 2 and 3 P.M., with portions of other Brigades, it formed a line extending from Piper's Barn to the Hagerstown Pike and assisted in repulsing an attack of the enemy.

Location: east side of Hagerstown Pike, south of the Bloody Lane (Map 3)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

    Anderson's (GA) Brigade
        11th Georgia Infantry
        1st Georgia (Regulars) Infantry
        7th Georgia Infantry
        8th Georgia Infantry
        9th Georgia Infantry

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16854]

« back to Tablet Index