(September 17, 1862.)
Early on the 17th the Brigades of Ripley, Colquitt and Garland advanced across the Smoketown Road in support of Hood's Division. After heavy losses they were obliged to retire, Ripley to the West Woods, Colquitt and Garland to the western end of the Bloody Lane. Rodes and G. R. Anderson's Brigades took position in the Bloody Lane, farther east, and, supported by R. H. Anderson's Division, withstood several assaults of French's and Richardson's Divisions of Sumner's Corps. Early in the afternoon the Division retired to a position in Piper's Lane extending to and along this road and into the fields west of the Hagerstown Pike.