(September 16-17, 1862.)
On the evening of September 16, Jones' Brigade formed line on the left of Winder's, its right about 130 yards west of this, its left extending nearly to the West Woods. Skirmishers were advanced about 250 to 275 yards and became slightly engaged and the Brigade came under an annoying artillery fire. In this position it was attacked by Doubleday's Division early in the morning of the 17th, and, after more than a half hour's hard fighting, was forced back to the line held by the Brigades of Starke and Taliaferro. It was re-formed and, with Winder's Brigade, supported the advance of Starke's and Taliaferro's Brigades a half hour later, but was again compelled to retire. Supported by Early's brigade of Ewell's Division, the entire Division again advanced and again fell back and reformed beyond the West Woods, where it supported the attack of McLaws' Division on Sedgwick's Federal Division.