Antietam Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 335
Winder's Brigade, Jackson's Division
6 PM 16 September to 10 AM 17 September
(September 16-17, 1862.)
On the evening of September 16, Winder's Brigade formed line perpendicular to this road, its right resting on this point, its left 130 yards west connecting with Jones' Brigade. In this position these Brigades were assaulted by the enemy, early on the 17th, and forced back to the reserves in the edge of the woods. Soon afterward the entire Division advanced but was compelled to retire. Re-enforced by Early's brigade, the Division again advanced and again fell back and reformed beyond the West Woods where it supported the assault of McLaws' Division.
Location: west side of the Hagerstown Pike 400 yards north of the Dunkard Church (Map 1)
Notes: The 2nd Virginia Infantry is listed on this tablet, but was not present at Sharpsburg. They were at Martinsburg, Virginia after the Federal garrison departed, and remained there for the duration of the Maryland Campaign.
Units described and/or located by this Tablet:
27th Virginia Infantry
33rd Virginia Infantry
4th Virginia Infantry
5th Virginia Infantry
Source: Antietam Battlefield Board, Antietam Battlefield Board Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)
1 Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth) [AotW citation 16723]
« back to Tablet Index