site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 336

Anderson's Brigade, D. H. Hill's Division

9 PM 16 September to 4 PM 17 September

C.S.A.
JACKSON'S COMMAND
ANDERSON'S BRIGADE, D. H. HILL'S DIVISION
Brigadier General Geo. B. Anderson, Commanding.
Organization.
2d, 4th, 14th and 30th North Carolina Infantry

(September 17, 1862.)
   On the night of September 16, 1862, Anderson's Brigade bivouacked on either side of the Boonsboro Turnpike near the end of the Sunken Road. On the morning of the 17th it advanced by the way of the ravine and Piper's cornfield to and beyond this point, but being forced back, formed line a few feet north of this on the right of Rodes' Brigade. It withstood several charges of Richardson's Division, Sumner's Corps, but shortly after noon, was compelled to retire in the direction of Sharpsburg. It reformed on the Hagerstown Pike, southwest of Piper's House, and assisted in checking the Federal advance in that direction.

Location: north side of the Bloody Lane (Map 3)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

    Anderson's (NC) Brigade
        14th North Carolina Infantry
        2nd North Carolina Infantry
        30th North Carolina Infantry
        4th North Carolina Infantry

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16855]

« back to Tablet Index