(September 16-17, 1862.)
Late in the afternoon of September 16, Ripley's Brigade moved from the right of the Division line near the Boonsboro Pike, and bivouacked a short distance south of Mumma's House. Early in the morning of the 17th it formed in support of Trimble's Brigade and moved past the burning Mumma buildings in the direction of the south end of the East Woods. When Hood relieved Lawton's Division the Brigade moved by the left flank along the west edge of the East Woods, crossed the Smoketown Road south of this point and moved north to Hood's support. It filled an interval in the line of battle, made successive charges into Miller's Cornfield, and was severely engaged with the advance of the Twelfth Corps. The right of the Confederate line being turned by an attack of Greene's Division, Twelfth Corps, the Brigade after several changes of position and a stubborn resistance was obliged to retire to the woods around the Dunkard Church and was not again engaged.