(September 16 - 17, 1862.)
At 10 P. M. of the 16th, Trimble's Brigade advanced from the Dunkard Church and relieved Law's Brigade of Hood's Division at this point. The right of the Brigade rested in the Cemetery, the left on the rocky ledge 100 yards north of the road. In this position it was attacked, on the morning of the 17th, by Seymour's Brigade and Ricketts' Division. After a severe engagement, in which it lost one-third of its number and expended its ammunition, it was relieved by Law's Brigade of Hood's Division and withdrawn to the woods beyond the Dunkard Church.