(September 17, 1862.)
Anderson's Division crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about sunrise on the 17th and, marching through the fields west and north of Sharpsburg reached this road about 9 A.M. Armistead's Brigade was sent to the support of McLaws on the left. Parham's Brigade, reduced to 40 men, was consolidated with Pryor's. The Division formed line perpendicular to this road. Its left at this point, its right in the ravine about 300 yards east of Piper's stone barn. It advanced in support of D. H. Hill's Division to the cornfield northeast of this and, after a stubborn contest, in which it suffered severely, was obliged to retire to the cover of the stone walls on the road. Late in the day it resumed a part of its original position and checked the advance of the enemy.