(September 17, 1862.)
A. P. Hill's Division left Harpers Ferry at 7:30 A.M., crossed the Potomac at Blacksford Ford and reached this point at 2:30 P.M.
Pender's and Field's Brigades were detached to cover the approaches from the lower Antietam. Branch's, Gregg's and Archer's Brigades formed line along this road connecting with the right of D.R. Jones' Division. These Brigades supported by Toombs, crossed the fields, encountered the left of the enemy's advancing line, checked its further progress and took position behind the stone fence about 600 yards distant.
They remained in this position until midnight of the 18th, when they withdrew and, acting as rearguard of the Confederate Army, recrossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about 9:30 A.M. of the 19th.