(September 17, 1862.)
Pender's Brigade left Harpers Ferry at 7:30 A.M. of September 17, crossed the Potomac by Blackford's Ford and reached this road about 3 P.M. It was placed in position near this point to guard the approaches to the battlefield from the lower Antietam. It was exposed to the long range Infantry and Artillery fire of the enemy but was not otherwise actively engaged.
Late in the day it was moved to the left, and on the morning of the 18th, took position on the left of Branch's Brigade, where it remained until it was withdrawn to recross the Potomac.