site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 351

Army of Northern Virginia

6 AM 17 September to 6 PM 17 September

C.S.A.
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
General Robert E. Lee, commanding

(September 17, 1862.)
   General Longstreet's Command, including D.H. Hill's Division of Jackson's Command, temporarily attached, occupied the right and center of the Confederate line, extending from the Antietam Creek south of Sharpsburg, in a northerly direction to Mumma's house.

General Jackson's Command occupied the left of the line extending from Mumma's house to the Hagerstown Pike, north of the Dunkard Church, thence through the West Woods to the open fields south of Nicodemus' house.

General Stuart's Cavalry Division covered the extreme left of the Army, extending from Jackson's left westerly to the Potomac River.

Location: north side of Bloody Lane at the Observation Tower (Map 3)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

Army of Northern Virginia
Stuart's Cavalry Division

Jackson's Command

Longstreet's Command

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16791]

« back to Tablet Index