(September 17, 1862.)
Archer's Brigade formed line in the road at this point about 3 P.M. supported on the right by the Brigades of Branch and Gregg, and on the left by Toombs' Brigade of D.R. Jones' Division. It advanced through a narrow cornfield and across the broad ravine beyond to the stone wall about 600 yards distant, where it met and checked the left of the advancing Federal line. An attempt to advance farther was repulsed and the Brigade rallied behind the stone wall where it remained until early on the morning of the 19th when it recrossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford.