(September 15-17, 1862.)
Jenkins' Brigade reached Sharpsburg at 11 A.M. September 15th. and took position on the high ground west of the Cemetery. Late in the evening it moved to the high ground west of the Burnside Bridge Road, where it remained under artillery fire until 3 P.M. of the 17th, when it returned to its first position in support of Moody's and Squire's Batteries.
It then advanced to the apple orchard and to the stone house and mill, about 250 yards north of this point, where it engaged the Federal line, which had reached this elevation. After the withdrawal of the enemy, the Brigade advanced its skirmishers over this ground to the crest of the hill overlooking the low ground and a belt of woodland bordering the Antietam. The Brigade was relieved by Fitzhugh Lee's Cavalry Brigade during the night of the 18th and at sunrise of the 19th crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford.