(September 17, 1862.)
McLaws' Division left Harpers Ferry on the forenoon of September 16th, crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about daybreak of the 17th, and halted in the western suburbs of Sharpsburg at sunrise.
At about 9 A.M., it moved across the fields northwest of the town and deployed on the rising ground south and west of this point, the right near the Hagerstown Pike, nearly opposite the Bloody Lane, the left extending about 250 yards northwest of the Hauser house. Supported on the right by Walker's Division and Armistead's Brigade and on the left by Jackson's Command, Geo. T. Anderson's Brigade and Stuart's Cavalry, the Division encountered the left flank and front of Sedgwick's advancing Division and forced it back to the fields and woods beyond D.R. Miller's.
An effort to advance east of the Hagerstown Pike was checked by Greene's Division of the Twelfth Corps, aided by the destructive fire of the Federal Artillery, and the Division reformed behind the ledges of rock running north from this point, where it remained until withdrawn to recross the Potomac on the night of the 18th.