(September 17, 1862.)
Barksdale's Brigade crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about daybreak of the 17th and halted in the western suburbs of Sharpsburg until nearly 9 A.M. It then advanced to the rising ground southwest of this point and formed line in the left center of McLaws' Division, Kershaw on the right and Semmes on the left.
In the general advance of the Division it encountered the enemy's line at the edge of the West Woods at this point and, supported by Ransom's Brigade of Walker's Division, forced it back through the woods to the fields beyond, where it was checked by the destructive fire of the Federal Artillery and compelled to retire to the protection of the hill and ledges of rock in this vicinity.
Later in the day the Brigade reoccupied a portion of the ground from which it had been driven and, with Ransom on the right and Early on the left, held the position until the night of the 18th when it recrossed the Potomac.