(September 16-17, 1862.)
Walker's Division left Harpers Ferry on the evening of September 15, crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford and reached Sharpsburg during the afternoon of the 16th. It was held in reserve until daybreak of the 17th, when it took position on the extreme right 1-1/2 miles south of the town, on the high ground overlooking Snavely's Ford. Between 8 and 9 A.M., it moved to the left under orders to support Jackson's Command. Arriving opposite the southwest edge of of the West Woods, it supported McLaws in the attack on Sedgwick's Division and advanced nearly to the Hagerstown Pike where it was checked by the heavy fire of the Federal Artillery.
It repulsed an attempt of a portion of Gordon's Brigade to cross the Hagerstown Pike, north of the Dunkard Church, and assisted in expelling Greene's Division, Twelfth Corps, from the woods beyond the church. The right of the Division crossed the Hagerstown Pike in the vicinity of the church, but was compelled to retire to the woods and open ground to the south where it remained until it recrossed the Potomac on the night of the 18th.