site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 361

Kershaw's Brigade, McLaws' Division

5 AM 17 September to 9 PM 18 September

C.S.A.
LONGSTREET'S COMMAND,
KERSHAW'S BRIGADE, McLAWS' DIVISION.
Brig. Gen. J.B. Kershaw, Commanding.
Organization.
2d South Carolina Infantry, 7th South Carolina Infantry
3d South Carolina Infantry, 8th South Carolina Infantry

(September 17, 1862.)
   Kershaw's Brigade crossed the Potomac at Blackford's Ford about daybreak of the 17th and halted in the western suburbs of Sharpsburg until nearly 9 A.M., when it crossed the fields and took position in the open ground southwest of the Dunkard Church from which, supported by Walker's Division and Early's Brigade, it moved to the attack of the 34th New York Infantry of Sedgwick's Division, Second Corps, and the 125th Pennsylvania of the Twelfth Corps, just west of the church, causing them to retire. Efforts to drive Greene's Division and the Federal Artillery from the ridge east of the Hagerstown Pike were repulsed and the Brigade fell back beyond the western limits of the West Woods.

Later in the day it moved to the northern part of the West Woods, where it remained until the night of the 18th, when it was withdrawn and recrossed the Potomac.

Location: south side of Confederate Avenue (Map 2)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

    Kershaw's Brigade
        2nd South Carolina Infantry
        3rd South Carolina Infantry
        7th South Carolina Infantry
        8th South Carolina Infantry

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16797]

« back to Tablet Index