Antietam Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 363
Cobb's Brigade, McLaws' Division
5 AM 17 September to 1 PM 17 September
(September 17, 1862.)
Cobb's Brigade crossed the Potomac at daybreak and halted near General Lee's Headquarters west of Sharpsburg. At about 9:20 A.M., it formed line on the south side of Bloody Lane, its left resting at this point and, with Rodes' and portions of Garland's and Colquitt's Brigades, participated in the engagement with French's Division of the Second Corps. Later in the day the Brigade changed front to the right, facing east, and supported D. H. Hill's Division and George T. Anderson's Brigade in resisting the advance of Richardson's Division.
Location: east side of Hagerstown Pike, south of the Bloody Lane (Map 3)
Notes: "McLAW'S DIVISION" is how the tablet heading was cast (probably should have been "McLAWS' DIVISION").
Units described and/or located by this Tablet:
16th Georgia Infantry
24th Georgia Infantry
Cobb's (GA) Legion, Infantry Battalion
15th North Carolina Infantry
Source: Antietam Battlefield Board, Antietam Battlefield Board Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)
1 Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth) [AotW citation 16857]
« back to Tablet Index