(September 16, 1862.)
Late in the afternoon of the 16th Jackson's Division formed in two lines west of the Hagerstown Pike, the right resting on the Pike and connecting with the left of Hood's Division. The first line, the Brigades of Winder and Jones, under command of Col. A. J. Grigsby, 27th Virginia, was on open ground 200 yards south of this, facing north, the second line, the Brigades of Taliaferro and Starke under command of Brig. Gen. W. E. Starke, was in the edge of the woods 180 yards in rear of the first line, its left extending through the West Woods to a farm lane. Two companies of skirmishers were thrown forward to this point, connecting on the right with those of Hood's Division, and Poague's Rockbridge (Va.) Battery took position on a knoll about midway between the skirmishers and the first line. The skirmishers were warmly engaged until dark and Poague exchanged shots with the Federal Artillery in position on Miller's Farm south and southeast of the North Woods, east of the Pike.