(September 17, 1862.)
French's Division crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford about 8:30 A.M., and marched in columns by Brigades, Kimball on the right, Morris in the center, and Weber on the left. After advancing about one mile the Division faced to the left, passed through meadows to Roulette's House, near which it encountered the enemy and pushed them back to the Bloody Lane, where its advance was checked by a portion of D.H. Hill's Division.
A desperate contest ensued, lasting until 1 o'clock, when, supported by Richardson's Division on the left, a charge was made and the enemy forced to retire to Piper's Lane and the fields beyond.
French's Division bivouacked beyond the ridge north of this point.