(September 17, 1862.)
Smith's Division left camp between Crampton's Pass and Rohrersville in Pleasant Valley at 5:30 A.M. of the 17th, crossed the Antietam at Pry's Ford and arrived at the front about noon. Hancock's Brigade was put in position on the left of Sedgwick's Division of the Second Corps, its right near the Poffenberger Lane, its left extending in front of and parallel to the East Woods, Irwin's Brigade advancing took cover behind the ridge south of the Smoketown Road and in front of the Church. Brooks' Brigade formed in the Cornfield to the right of French's Division, parallel to and facing the Bloody Lane, its right connecting, though, not closely, with Irwin's left. Late in the afternoon, the 7th Maine of Irwin's Brigade charged across the Bloody Lane to within a few yards of Piper's Lane when it was repulsed and fell back to the position from which it had charged. The Division remained in position with some slight changes until the morning of the 19th, when it advanced and ascertained that the Confederates had recrossed the Potomac.