site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 79

First Battalion, 14th US Infantry

3 PM 17 September to 8 PM 17 September

U.S.A.
FIFTH ARMY CORPS,
FIRST BATTALION (8 Cos.), FOURTEENTH U.S. INFANTRY
Capt. W. Harvey Brown, 14th U.S. Infantry, Commanding.

(September 17, 1862.)
   At 3 P.M. of the 17th the First Battalion, Fourteenth U.S. Infantry crossed the Antietam at the Middle Bridge and advanced on the Boonsboro Pike until it reached the point where the Bloody Lane enters the Pike (200 yards east of this), where the Battalion was posted on the left (south) of the Pike as a reserve to the 4th U.S. Infantry.

At dusk Companies F and G deployed as skirmishers, advanced to this lane, formed on the right of the Second and Tenth U.S. Infantry, and engaged the Confederate skirmishers in the edge of the cornfield in front.

The Battalion was withdrawn at dark and recrossed the Antietam.

Location: east side of Rodman Avenue, near the Boonsboro Pike (Map 4)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

        14th United States Infantry, First Battalion

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16874]

« back to Tablet Index