site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 80

First Battalion, 14th US Infantry

3 PM 17 September to 8 PM 17 September

U.S.A.
FIFTH ARMY CORPS,
FIRST BATTALION (8 Cos.), FOURTEENTH U.S. INFANTRY
Capt. W. Harvey Brown, 14th U.S. Infantry, Commanding.

(September 17, 1862.)
   At 3 P.M. the First Battalion, Fourteenth U. S. Infantry, crossed the Antietam at the Middle Bridge, advanced on this road to this point and formed on the hill and in the ravine south of this tablet, the right of the Battalion resting on this road. At dusk, Companies F and G, deployed as skirmishers, advanced about 200 yards to Sherrick's Lane, formed on the right of the Second and Tenth U.S. Infantry, and engaged the enemy.

The Battalion was withdrawn at dark and recrossed the Antietam.

Location: south side of the Boonsboro Pike, east of Rodman Avenue (Map 4)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

        14th United States Infantry, First Battalion

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16875]

« back to Tablet Index