Where made: various
Year(s) made: to 1865
The saber pictured here has the initials "CSA" between the bands of the brass knuckle guard, and was made by the Confederate States Armory in Kenansville, North Carolina. The scabbard is shown below the saber.
(from Civil War @ Smithsonian)
This is typical of sabers of this period in size and curve of the blade.
Employment at Sharpsburg
The saber was carried by virtually all cavalrymen, both Federal and Confederate, for close combat. Some officers in other military branches also carried Cavalry sabers - MGen G.B. McClellan, for example, carried an 1840 Federal model.