(September 17, 1862.)
Ransom's Brigade reached Sharpsburg during the afternoon of September 16th, and was held in reserve until daybreak of the 17th, when it took position on the extreme right observing Snavely's Ford. Between 8 and 9 A.M., it moved to the left and supported McLaws in his attack on Sedgwick's Division. Arriving abreast the southwest edge of the West Woods, it advanced northwardly until opposite this point, when it wheeled to the right and encountered the enemy at the Poffenberger buildings and on the high ground to the east.
Attacked on the flank and in the front the Federal line was compelled to retire. The Brigade followed in pursuit until, near the Hagerstown Pike, it was checked by the destructive fire of the Federal Artillery, and sought shelter in the undulations of the ground.