(September 17, 1862.)
Gorman's Brigade led the advance of Sedgwick's Division in its assault upon the Confederate left. It passed through the East Woods, crossed the Cornfield and the open ground to the south, entered the West Woods and had reached this point, when its advance was checked by Jackson's Command and the Artillery of Stuart's Division posted on the high ground to the northwest. After a severe contest in which its ammunition was nearly exhausted, its left flank was turned by McLaws' and Walker's Divisions and the Brigade was forced to retire northward to the fields beyond D.R. Miller's barn. The 34th New York was detached and occupied the woods immediately west of the Dunkard Church. This tablet marks the left center of the Brigade in its advance.