(September 17, 1862.)
Brooke's Brigade formed the reserve of Richardson's Division.
After checking an attempt of the enemy to gain the right rear of French's Division near Roulette's house, it co-operated with Caldwell in his advance across the Bloody Lane and through the cornfield to the south, the advance Regiments driving the enemy from Piper's barn and outhouses. The ammunition of the Brigade having been exhausted, it was withdrawn and occupied a position a short distance north of this point, in support of Battery K, 1st U.S. Artillery.