(September 17, 1862.)
At daybreak on the 17th, Rodman's Division, supported by Ewing's Brigade of the Kanawha Division, was in position southeast of Burnside Bridge. During the forenoon the Division moved down the left bank of the Antietam, crossed at Snavely's Ford about 1 P.M., forced the right of Toombs' Brigade from the high ground above the ford and, ascending the right bank of the stream until nearly abreast the Burnside Bridge, formed a line on the left of Willcox's Division. About 3 P.M., the Division advanced; Fairchild's Brigade on the right, Harland's in echelon on the left with Ewing's Ohio Brigade in support. Fairchild gained the field northwest of this and, advancing northwardly, met the right of D.R. Jones' Division and, after a short and severe contest, compelled it to retire through the streets of Sharpsburg. One Regiment of Harland's Brigade gained the high ground northwest of this point; but the remaining two Regiments, while moving through the forty acre cornfield southeast of this, were attacked in flank, by the right of A.P. Hill's Division and compelled to retire to the cover of the high ground near the Bridge. The left of the line having been turned, Fairchild's Brigade was withdrawn to the Sharpsburg Road and thence to Burnside Bridge. During the engagement General Rodman was mortally wounded and the command of the Division devolved upon Col. Harland of the 8th Connecticut Infantry.