28th Pennsylvania Infantry"Goldstream Regiment"
Organized: Philadelphia, PA; mustered in 6/28/1861
Disbanded/Mustered out: Washington, DC 7/18/1865
|Commanding Officer: |
Maj. Ario Pardee, Jr.
"The arms were the Enfield rifle with the formidable sword bayonet. These were obtained of a firm in Philadelphia, who fortunately had them for sale, else the regiment would have been armed with the ordinary musket, altered from the flint to percussion lock, many of which were in possession of the government."
Maps Showing this Unit:
Detail Map #3: Mansfield's XII Corps Attacks Into the Cornfield
Detail Map #4: Greene's High-Water Mark in the West Woods
Detail Map #5: Sedgwick is Flanked in the West Woods
Battlefield Tablets for this Unit:
Tablet #48: Greene's Division, Twelfth Army Corps - 17 Sep, 12 AM to 17 Sep, 9 AM
Tablet #120: Army of the Potomac - 17 Sep, 5 AM to 17 Sep, 12 PM
Tablet #27: Twelfth Army Corps - 17 Sep, 6 AM to 17 Sep, 12 PM
Tablet #50: Tyndale's Brigade, Greene's Division - 17 Sep, 8 AM to 17 Sep, 10 AM
Tablet #117: Greene's Division, Twelfth Army Corps - 17 Sep, 8 AM to 17 Sep, 9 AM
Tablet #51: Greene's Division, Twelfth Army Corps - 17 Sep, 9 AM to 17 Sep, 12 PM
Tablet #53: Tyndale's Brigade, Greene's Division - 17 Sep, 9 AM to 17 Sep, 12 PM
This Regiment's Chain of Command:
Army - Army of the Potomac
Corps - Twelfth (XII) Army Corps
Division - 2nd Division, XII Corps
Brigade - 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, XII Corps
History of the Unit:
"Early in June of 1861, John W, Geary obtained permission from President Lincoln to raise, in Pennsylvania, a regiment of volmteers to serve for three yeurs; He accordingly estabished a camp at Oxford Park, in Philadelphia, and on the 28th of that month the Twenty-eighth Regiment, which was uniformed and equipped at his own expense, was being mustered into the service of the United States. The regiment, when completed, consisted of fifteen companies, numbering fifteen hundred and fifty-one officers and men ..."
"From surplus recruits a battery was formed and attached to the regiment, which was known as Knap's Battery of the Twenty-eighth Penasylvania Volunteers. Mr. Charles Knap, of Pittsburg, presented this company with four steel guns, which were subsequently exchanged by the government for six ten-pounder Parrotts. Also connected with the regiment was Beck's celebrated Philadelphia Brass Band."
Assigned to the Deptartment of the Shenandoah, the Regiment operated in Northern Virginia, around Harpers Ferry, and in the Valley through the summer of 1862. They were then on General Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia, seeing combat at 2nd Bull Run. They joined the Army of the Potomac, at the start of the Maryland Campaign, in September 1862 along with the rest of the XII (formerly Banks') Corps.
The remainder of the War:
They continued in service with the Army of the Potomac through Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, then served with the Corps in Georgia, Tennessee, and on the Carolina Campaign. The Regiment had reenlisted December 24, 1863, and veterans were furloughed during January and February 1864.
References, Sources, and other Notes:
Sources: Dyer, Frederick H., A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Co., 1908; and
Bates, Samuel P., History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg: 1868-1871, extracted online at Pennsylvania in the Civil War by Alice J. Gayley.
* If there's a symbol in the Details column ...
We have a picture for this person
We have details beyond name and rank
Click on their last name to see more
« Search for Another Unit