(September 17, 1862.)
Early on the 17th, Ripley fired the Mumma Buildings and passed them in the direction of the south part of the East Woods, then, moving by the left flank, crossed the Smoketown Road and engaged the Union troops in Miller's Cornfield. Colquitt followed Ripley and formed on his right. Garland's Brigade moving from the field north of the present stone tower, followed Colquitt. After a severe contest, involving heavy losses, the three Brigades were driven by Mansfield's Corps; Ripley retiring to the woods at the Dunkard Church, Colquitt and Garland in the direction of Sharpsburg. Rodes was about to join the three Brigades north of the Smoketown Road, but upon the appearance of Colquitt and Garland in retreat, filed to the left and formed line in the Bloody Lane, portions of the retreating Brigades rallying on his left. George B. Anderson moving from the Boonsboro Pike, passed up the ravine south of this and formed in the lane on Rodes' right. In this position, the left on the Hagerstown Pike, the right near this point, the command was attacked by French's and Richardson's Divisions. Five Brigades of R. H. Anderson's Division, came to Hill's assistance, forming line in his rear, but, after a bloody struggle of over two hours, both Hill and Anderson fell back to Piper's Lane and to the cover of the stonewalls on either side of the Hagerstown Pike beyond. Late in the day the Confederates repulsed a charge of the 7th Maine on the Piper Buildings.