site logo

Battlefield Historical Tablet No. 374

Walker's Division, Longstreet's Command

5 AM 17 September to 9 AM 17 September

C.S.A.
WALKER'S DIVISION, LONGSTREET'S COMMAND
Brig. Gen. John G. Walker, Commanding.

(September 17, 1862.)
   At daybreak of the 17th, Walker's Division with the Virginia Batteries of French and Branch occupied the rounded hills southeast of this point, supporting the right of Toombs' command and observing Snavely's Ford.

Between 8 and 9 A.M., the Batteries moved with the Division to the Dunkard Church, and the duty of watching the ford devolved upon Munford's Cavalry Brigade of Stuart's command.

Location: south side of Branch Avenue (Map 4)

 

Units described and/or located by this Tablet:

Walker's Division
    Ransom's Brigade
        24th North Carolina Infantry
        25th North Carolina Infantry
        35th North Carolina Infantry
        49th North Carolina Infantry
        Branch's Petersburg (VA) Field Artillery
    Manning's Brigade
        3rd Arkansas Infantry
        27th North Carolina Infantry
        46th North Carolina Infantry
        48th North Carolina Infantry
        30th Virginia Infantry
        French's Stafford (VA) Battery

Source: The Antietam Battlefield Board1

Notes

1   Antietam Board, Antietam Battlefield Commission Papers, Washington DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1891-1898, Entry 707, Record Group 92 (Historical Tablet text by Generals E.A. Carman and H. Heth)  [AotW citation 16801]

« back to Tablet Index