(1831 - 1895)
Home State: Michigan
Branch of Service: Infantry
Unit: 7th Michigan Infantry
His family moved to Michigan about 1841, and settled in Monroe. He later served as First Lieutenant in the City Guards militia unit. At the start of the War he was a 30 year old butcher in Monroe, and the City Guards became Company D, 7th Michigan Infantry. He enrolled as First Lieutenant on 19 June 1861. He was commissioned Captain, Company H on 1 March 1862.
On the Campaign
He was wounded in the neck, arm, and hand in action on 17 September 1862 at Antietam.
The rest of the War
He returned to his Company and was with them at Fredericksburg, VA in December. He was commissioned Major of the Regiment on 26 May 1863, and commanded the Regiment as senior officer at Gettysburg, PA on 3 July 1863 after Colonel Steele was killed. He continued in command to September 1864. He was wounded in action in the stomach at Spotsylvania, VA on 10 May 1864. He was discharged at the expiration of his term of service on 5 October 1864.
After the War
He returned to Monroe. He was county drain inspector, elected school inspector (1874-77) and was on the School Board. He was also elected Alderman and Ward Supervisor (1883, 1884). Finally, he served as County commissioner for the poor. His Spotsylvania wound was still open at his death in 1895.
References & notes
Basic information from State of Michigan1. Details and the photograph here (from one in the Monroe County Historical Museum) thanks to great-great grandson Eric Mueller. Further information from his obituary in the Historical Collections of the Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society (Vol. XXVII, 1897). His gravesite is on Findagrave, source also of another wartime photograph.
01/01/1831; Genesee County, NY
11/03/1895; Monroe, MI; burial in Woodland Cemetery, Monroe, MI
1 State of Michigan, Office of the Adjutant General, and George H. Brown, Adjutant General; George H. Turner, Asst. AG, compiler, Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865, 46 volumes, Kalamazoo: Ihling Bros. & Everard, 1904-1915, Vol. 7, pg. 29 [AotW citation 17090]