(1837 - 1925)
Home State: North Carolina
Branch of Service: Infantry
Age 24, probably known by Lewis or "Low", he enlisted as a Private in Company C, 4th North Carolina Infantry on 24 February 1862 in Statesville.
On the Campaign
He was captured at Boonesboro, MD on 15 September 1862 - the day following the regiment's fight at Fox's Gap on South Mountain.
The rest of the War
He was a prisoner at Fort Delaware by about 15 September, paroled and sent to Aiken's Landing, VA for exchange on 2 October, was in a Richmond, VA hospital by 4 October, and declared exchanged on 10 November 1862. He was wounded in the face at Gettysburg, PA on 2 (or 3) July 1863. He was surrendered and paroled at Appomattox Court House, VA on 9 April 1865.
After the War
By 1870 to at least 1880 he was a carpenter in Shiloh Township, Iredell County, NC, and lived between his father Henry's and his brother Jacob's farms. He was still at Shiloh in 1900, by then a farmer himself, still near family. In 1910 he was living in Arcadia in DeSoto County, FL and working as a house carpenter, then 72 years old. He was farming again in 1920, then in Bryan Township, Boone County, Arkansas.
References & notes
His service from his Compiled Service Records,1 via fold3 and the Roster.2 Personal details from family genealogists and the US Census of 1870-1920.
He married Martha Mary "Mattie" Bridges (1843-1922) in October 1865 and they had 8 children.
His son Henry Ernest Lollar (1872-1948) lived in Boone County, Indiana after 1900, which may be why H.L.S. Lollar was buried there.
12/1837; Iredell County, NC
1925; burial in Dover Cemetery, Dover, IN
1 US War Department, Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, Record Group No. 109 (War Department Collection of Confederate Records), Washington DC: US National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), 1903-1927 [AotW citation 27539]
2 Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth Tyree Jordan, Matthew M Brown, Michael W Coffey, North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865 : A Roster, 20 Volumes +, Raleigh: North Carolina State Department of Archives and History, 1966- [AotW citation 27540]