(1838 - 1917)
Home State: North Carolina
Branch of Service: Infantry
Age 23, he enlisted as a Private in Company C, 4th North Carolina Infantry on 7 June 1861 in Statesville.
On the Campaign
He was captured at Boonesboro, MD on 15 September 1862 - the day following the regiment's fight at Fox's Gap on South Mountain.
The rest of the War
He was a prisoner at Fort Delaware by about 15 September, paroled and sent to Aiken's Landing, VA for exchange on 2 October, and declared exchanged on 10 November 1862. He was wounded at Chancellorsville, VA on 3 May 1863 and back to duty by September, when he was promoted to Corporal. He was treated for a gunshot wound to his left foot in a Richmond, VA hospital in May 1864. He was appointed First Sergeant on 1 September 1864 and commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of his Company on 19 September 1864. He was surrendered and paroled at Appomattox Court House, VA on 9 April 1865.
After the War
By 1880 he was a farmer in Bethany Township in Iredell County, NC. In 1900 he was a grocer in Statesville with son Orin and (cousin?) Zepheniah. He had retired and was living with his daughter Mary in Statesville in 1910.
References & notes
His service from his Compiled Service Records,1 via fold3 and the Roster.2 Personal details from family genealogists and the US Census of 1880-1910. His gravesite is on Findagrave.
He married Nancy Jane Tuck (1839-1888) and they had 5 children between 1865 and 1878. He married again, Mary Secelia Griffith (1845-1907) in October 1889.
There were at least 10 young Turners in the 4th North Carolina Infantry.
02/26/1838 in NC
03/26/1917; in NC; burial in Oakwood Cemetery, Statesville,NC
1 US War Department, Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, Record Group No. 109 (War Department Collection of Confederate Records), Washington DC: US National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), 1903-1927 [AotW citation 27547]
2 Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth Tyree Jordan, Matthew M Brown, Michael W Coffey, North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865 : A Roster, 20 Volumes +, Raleigh: North Carolina State Department of Archives and History, 1966- [AotW citation 27548]