(September 17, 1862.)
Horse Batteries A, B and L (consolidated) and M, 2d U.S. Artillery, C and G (consolidated) of the 3d U.S. Artillery were established on the crown of the ridge to the right and left of this point on the morning of September 17. Shortly after noon, their ammunition having been exhausted, they were relieved by Batteries E and G (consolidated), 1st U.S. Artillery, and Battery K, 5th U.S. Artillery, and recrossed the Antietam for ammunition. Batteries C and G (consolidated), 3d U.S. Artillery, took position east of the Antietam on the ridge north of the Boonsboro Pike; the three other Batteries returned, at intervals, between 3 and 5 P.M., and resumed their positions, remaining in battery until the close of the day.