(September 15-17, 1862.)
Garnett's Brigade reached Sharpsburg at 11 A.M. September 15th, and took position on the southwest slope of Cemetery Hill where it remained until the morning of the 17th, when it relieved Geo. T. Anderson's Brigade in support of the Washington Artillery. When that command was relieved by S. D. Lee's Artillery in the afternoon, the Brigade advanced into the cornfield in front of Lee's guns, between this point and the cemetery wall, and engaged the right of the advancing Federal line.
The right of the Confederate line west of the Burnside Bridge Road being turned, the Brigade was withdrawn, by the cross streets, to the north of the town, and cooperated with Drayton's Brigade and A.P. Hill's Division in the attack on the Federal left.