(September 16, 1862.)
On the afternoon of September 16, Hood's Division was in the fields east of the Dunkard Church. On the approach of the First (Hooker's) Corps, Army of the Potomac, the Division moved to the left and formed line, its left on the Hagerstown Pike and extending along the south edge of Miller's Cornfield into the East Woods. The 4th Texas, of Wofford's Brigade, deployed as skirmishers over half a mile in advance, encountered the advance of Meade's Division and was forced back from the North Woods, but, reenforced on the right by the 5th Texas, and supported by Law's Brigade, held the East Woods until darkness put an end to the engagement. In this engagement the Infantry was supported by Lane's Battery of Georgia Artillery a few yards south of this, two guns of Rhett's (S. C.) Battery, between Mumma's House and the Smoketown Road, one gun of Cutt's Artillery Battalion on the Pike west of this and Poague's Rockbridge (Va.) Battery, of Jackson's Division, about 30 yards west of the Pike, all of which engaged the Union Batteries on the high ground north and east of D. R. Miller's. Col. Liddel, 11th MIssissippi, of Law's Brigade was mortally wounded. About 10 P. M. the Division was relieved by Lawton's and Trimble's Brigades, of Ewell's Division, and withdrew to the woods west of the Dunkard Church.