(September 17, 1862.)
Patrick's Brigade formed line north of Joseph Poffenberger's at 5:30 A. M. and advanced on the east of the Hagerstwon Pike in support of Gibbon's Brigade. It crossed the Pike and entered the West Woods at this point. The 80th New York was sent to support Battery B, 4th U. S. Artillery, 130 yards south of Miller's barn, and the 23rd moved into the field west of this point. The 21st and 35th, in close support of Gibbon's right, swept through the West Woods and open ground east of them in the direction of the Dunkard Church, being rejoined on the way by the 23rd. The three Regiments were checked and obliged to fall back to the cover of Miller's barn and the rocky ledges south and west of it. After an interval of nearly an hour the three Regiments again advanced in support of Goodrich's Brigade, Twelfth Corps, but were compelled to fall back. After the repulse of Sedgwick's Division, the Brigade was withdrawn to a position east of the Pike in support of the Artillery of the First Corps.